Saturday, July 9, 2016

Where did your name go?


Hardly had I dropped 'Baby is here' post that I got a mail. But dear mailer, why did you not drop a comment? Who does that? Joor, help my ministry.


Mailer told me how she was yet to get over her C-section pains that her SIL on coming to see the baby and without mincing words told her that she would be calling her ' Mama...' from thenceforth and how she quickly told her off. Only for SIL to go 'report her to her husband. But that was the end of it. She never called her 'Mama...' Mailer, you are my kind of girl; "no shi* given, none taken".

It's rather annoying. Like there's an unwritten law that it must be so. You don't have to loose your identity just because. Some call it out of love, some out of envy. Yes you read right. You come out everytime on point. Everything in place. Always slaying, LOL. Always 'together' after baby/babies and they are not so, so they try to bring you down to remind you that you are 'old'. Of course, ain't we all? Even the newborn us exactly newborn no more.

So without prior notification, your name changes from what it is to, "Mama..." Don't get me wrong. I like being called my name, I appreciate  it not being changed especially by... It can be excused for a while, but if you make it a habit, I don't like it. O gini di?

Reminds me of some lady who made it a duty to be addressing me as such. I paid no mind initially but one day she called me ( women and their issues) I temporarily went deaf, she barges in on me and calls, "Mama..." again adding that I should know I'm now a Mama (I must have forgotten) and I MUST answer to it. I turned, locked eyes with her for a few and walked away. Needless to 'type', it didn't occur again.

We love our kids just fine without having to give up our names to bear theirs. Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment