Friday, July 8, 2016

Baby is here!






And mummy is good. That's all that matters. Thank you.

How hard could this be? Very hard. For some. A woman carries a baby 10 months of a 12 months calendar( yes 10, bite me), the tiniest you can do is to congratulate her, wish baby well and be happy. Every other thing can come later.

Why does it bother you to know how she was delivered of her baby? What would you do with that information? Snide at her? Hail her some more? And leave it for another woman to be the one to ask such when you are not her mum, sister or day one. Does it give you sleepless nights?

I remember being at the hospital with a friend right before she put to bed. Next day, when she was fit to receive visitors, I remember one pointedly asking her how the baby came. She replied,"from heaven". The lady said,"no, I mean how did you birth her, normal like the 'Hebrew women' or through surgery?" That got me and pissed me off. But I kept my 'piss' to myself as my friend was very capable of having the perfect answer.

But it got me thinking why anyone would term a C-section abnormal. Even when one's life is on the line. Why would having a baby through the birth canal be termed the 'Hebrew woman' way? When did the Bible get so misquoted?  Do they know what that even means? Do they know the actual story or the one Pastor passed down to them?

Once, while reading through the comment section on a Facebook post some years back, a lady 'birth shamed' any woman who undergoes a C-section as being possessed by some evil spirit. And how such a one needed special prayers. This lady had no baby herself, according to her. Some in the same vein, had very strong opinions about epidural. I was like, " who are these people? Who brought me on here?" What was their argument? That you ought to feel every bit of feeling that comes with bringing a life to this world, that is what makes you a woman. Whoever takes a medication to ease errrr, the discomfort or goes through surgery, elective or otherwise, is less of a woman. Say what??? I stopped right there and got off that bandwagon. I was not going to let ignorant people mess with my mind. Chile please!

I'm probably missing something. Dear women who had their baby the 'normal' way, did you get an award for it?

Dear women who got epidural where you awarded a certificate of shame?

And the ones that went under the knife, by choice or by...do you love your babies less?

Please let us stop with the 'delivery shaming'. It's hard enough going through pregnancy without the 'birth canal watchers' adding to it. Felicitate with the mother, give baby the 'regalo' you got him, or if you didn't take what baby gives you and (like in the traditional Nigerian setting) 'rub' baby powder on your neck and 'jejely' go back to your house.

3 comments:

  1. Let the truth be told!!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very nice. Short and precise. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete