Thursday, July 7, 2016

In the beginning, it was not so

Image result for black baby and white baby

Visiting the western world say, for summer and actually living there are different ends of a long stick ('JJC' welcome to life abroad, I will write another post entirely on culture shock). Sometimes, some 'oyibo' actually think you don't know anything. And you need all the help when your lingua franca isn't same as theirs. Be prepared to look stupid sometimes. O! Yes, a whole new language can pass you off so.

You could get bored surfing the web; as was my case and so I thought I should go for a walk. Earpiece on, admiring God's beautiful handiwork and minding my own business. I obviously was a sight to behold. Nothing spectacular, just that I had a different skin colour. You see, I had LEARNT  about racism. Don't ask me how. I will let you on. Back to my park. The beautiful weather had also allured others out, so it was no surprise to see the park quite filled; mothers with babies, children playing around, young adults lurking in corners and in your face owning their sexuality. All these people seemed to be the accepted ones here. The stares that pierced through me that day, if they were knives, I would have been maimed. But I cared less. That day I learnt a huge lesson.

Racism is passed down from generation to generation. People teach people to be racists. No one was born so. No one had it running in their veins. I will show you how. Remember the park is filled with people, so sitting space were limited. I found a nice spot and sat, unconscious of the negative stares. I smiled at those close by and minded my business. First was the man and his wife, senior citizens. They just couldn't hide their disdain. After they had whispered 'God knew what' at each other, they both got up, supporting each other, gave me one last stare and left. I really could care less. Next was the pretty dark haired mid-age lady who ensured her long summer dress didn't encroach in my air space. Heck, I still could care less. Then this lovely sunny little 'bambina' came to me. Her curiosity having gotten a better part of her, she said "ciao" with a beautiful smile that even Hitler wouldn't resist. First she touched my skin and asked, "come ti chiami?" in a very sweet voice. I answered. She asked if she could touch my hair. I let her. A man passed by and smiled at us. At that moment the entire world was at peace. She picked a little sunflower and gave me, 'softie' me, tears came to my eyes. This was innocence in all her beauty. She reached for my earpiece and I readily made it available. I was listening to " I want to go home" by Mish( where is that guy?) A woman who undoubtedly was her mum came by, exchanged some pleasantries, took little Miss Sunshine and left. I wished those old folks had witnessed that.

 Moments passed. I was still basking in my short sunny exchange, a boy and a girl gets close by. The boy gets closer, the girl pulls him back, whispers something to him. The young man waits, stares at me and makes another move, this time beyond the girl's reach. She stops and stares at him get closer to me. It was all like a script playing out. I just smiled and couldn't tell if he was smiling or making face. He reached out and touched my skin. At that moment a woman showed up and literally grabbed his arm, gave me a hard look and walked away. The kids turned back and looked at me as they left. The 'signora' was clearly telling them off. I kept looking at them. The little boy turned again and waved at me. That was when I cared.

Only heaven knows what they are fed with about Africans. Only heaven knows what they are stuffing their minds with. Pets too are not left out of this hatred. Ever seen a racist dog? Amazing.
Two incidents, two different people all in one day. Both needed their curiosities to be fed, both got it fed. Tomorrow they will both grow up, one filled with empathy for his fellow man regardless of  race, the other filled with baseless hatred wondering why a certain race should breathe the same air he breathes. And then we wonder why the world is in chaos.

Couple of days later, walking home, a girl playing outside  her home with her mum notices me; and ever so cautiously waves at me and her mum quickly calls her to order. I could understand about not talking to strangers, but I couldn't help but think she was also slowly getting groomed.

You can relate? Please sound off in the comment section. Would love to read your experiences.

5 comments:

  1. I can totally relate.I got on a bus with my little boy and some old lady just stood up and walked away from us,murmuring something I couldn't understand and then brings out a handkerchief and covers her nose as if we had some kind of body odour. I felt really bad that I almost confronted her but I had to keep my cool because they have this impression that "blacks are aggressive and I decided not to react in a way to prove them right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gave her the best reply by saying nothing. May her conscience be her judge. Thank you so much. I appreciate.

      Delete
  2. I can totally relate.I got on a bus with my little boy and some old lady just stood up and walked away from us,murmuring something I couldn't understand and then brings out a handkerchief and covers her nose as if we had some kind of body odour. I felt really bad that I almost confronted her but I had to keep my cool because they have this impression that "blacks are aggressive and I decided not to react in a way to prove them right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel my Diaspora babes/guys. Most if them skins are white/yellow, but them minds are black

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You couldn't have said it better. A deep stare into people's eyes takes you on a journey through their soul. Thanks.

      Delete